[Dixielandjazz] Composer of "Roll The Patrol"

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 3 15:16:23 PST 2005

Hi to those interested in the origin of "Roll the Patrol,"

Bruce Strangeland asked:

>Does anyone know who wrote "Roll The Patrol" and when it was written?

And Don Ingle responded:

>Ask Bill Gunter - he sang it on a Cell Block 7 CD.

I Respond:

I don't know who actually wrote it. It's in the Firehouse Jazz Band Fake
Book and the only credits listed in the book are "The Black Dawg Jazz Band"
which recorded the song in 1989 with the vocal sung by Bob Leary.

I first heard the song myself before I ever heard of the Black Dawg Jazz
Band. The year was 1988 (I think that's the year the Black Dogs were first
organized by Steve Yocum) and I was visiting a friend of mine (trombonist
Jim Maihack) who was living in Orlando, Florida at the time. While there,
Jim played a casual gig at a mobile home park grand opening over near Tampa
somewhere. There were three musicians on the gig (Maihack, Bob Leary and a
lady who played banjo and whose name I forget).  I went with Jim to the gig
and while there Jim introduced me to Leary.

Jim said to Bob, "Play that new song you got for Bill . . ." Leary said "ok"
and proceded to play and sing "Roll the Patrol."  I, like everyone who hears
the song, was captivated by the funny lyrics and very playable melody and I
made a point to remember it myself (this was long before I joined the Cell
Block 7 Jazz Band).

Unfortunately I didn't get around to asking Bob Leary where he got the song
so I can't help you there.  I wouldn't be surprised to find that the song
surfaced during the formation and early practice sessions of the Black Dawg
Jazz Band.

If any of you know Leary you might ask him about it and post your findings
here. It's a popular song on the jazz circuit. Louis Brown used to sing it
with the Titan Hot Jazz Band and I've heard four or five other bands who
regularly perform the tune.

Anyway, the earliest I can trace the song is Bob Leary in 1988.

Cheers,

Bill Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com