[Dixielandjazz] All that glitters..............

PATRICK LADD pj.ladd at btinternet.com
Thu Feb 3 04:34:25 PST 2005

 And I'll bet that most of the bands doing them were charging well below an
> acceptable rate and thus debasing the music's value.>>

Hi All,

absolutely right. Most of the bands are paid what they are worth. A couple
of pints of beer and a tenner each (in the back pocket).
Thats how amateurs get their experience. After having dropped out of music
for 30 years I changed wives and then began to attend jazz clubs again. I
sat in on drums for a couple of numbers one night, so that the drummer could
take a vocal, and that became a regular thing. Subsequently I  inherited his
drum  stool when he moved from the area.
The leader had very fixed ideas and played only very early jazz. Eventually
I tired of that as I wanted to play more `swing` numbers so I convinced a
pub landlord that he reely, reely needed a band and fixed a weekly date.
Then I phoned various musicians I knew, had a blow together, and turned up
for our first gig. We played weekly for 5 years.
We played for £6 and a pint each. (£6  untaxed was worth £10 to the player)
We didn`t do anyone out of a gig as no gig existed until I started it. The
publican had to sell an EXTRA amount of beer  to make it worth his
while.Quite a commitment on his part. Quite a lot actually. 6 men @£6 = £36,
say £40 all told. Assuming he made 25p profit a pint he had to sell 160
EXTRA pints to break even. He certainly would not have paid `real` money.
Over time we built up a regular following and even 20 years after we ended
people still stop me in the street and say how much they enjoyed the band.
Subsequently I began to play regularly with several bands. The trumpeter
formed a band of his own. The sax player is part of a Big Band, a classical
quartette (on flute) and has a trio of his own, the bass player plays with
someone nearly every night of the week. The guitar player was last heard of
playing in a bar in Spain. No one broke into the `big time` or had any real
hopes of doing so but in the meantime we had a lot of fun, brought enjoyment
to a lot of people, made a few pounds and I don`t believe for a moment that
any of us did a `professional` musician out of a job or a band out of a gig.
One man only moved on to a higher plane. A youngster who occasionally sat in
with us on guitar now accompanies one of our leading lady jazz singers on a
regular basis on stage and radio and when I went to a BBC Big Band concert I
was astounded to find that he was the piano player on a `special guest`
basis.
One story about our £6  per man band. One night a girl asked if she could
sing with the band. With the usual trepidation I asked what she would like.
She named a good tune, asked for it in a particular key. She swung straight
in and was great. When she left we looked at each other, nodded in approval,
and I chased her into the car park and booked her to sing on  a regular
basis. We paid her by each of the band kicking in £1 from their own money.
Great days.

Cheers

Pat