[Dixielandjazz] The Boondockers, Sacramento Area

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Tue Dec 27 17:18:12 PST 2005

 You are invited to join the fun with The Boondockers at Giovanni's Pizzeria
tomorrow evening
(Wednesday Dec 28) 6:00 - 9:00 PM.  More about this below -- but first:
Here is my personal Christmas story.
Late last week, I was rushing around trying to get some last minute shopping
done. I was stressed out and not thinking very fondly of the Christmas
season right then. It was dark, cold, and wet in the parking lot as I was
was missing a receipt that I might need later. So mumbling under my breath,
I retraced my steps to the mall entrance.
As I was searching the wet pavement for the lost receipt, I heard a quiet
sobbing. The crying was coming from a poorly dressed boy of about 12 years
old. He was short and thin. He had no coat. He was just wearing a ragged
flannel shirt to protect him from the cold night's chill. Oddly enough, he
was holding a hundred dollar bill in his hand.
Thinking that he had gotten lost from his parents, I asked him what was
wrong.
He told me his sad story. He said that he came from a large family. He had
three brothers and two sisters. His father had died when he was nine years
old. His mother was poorly educated and worked two full time jobs. She made
very little to support her large family. Nevertheless, she had managed to
save two hundred dollars to buy her children Christmas presents.
The young boy had been dropped off on the way to her second job. He was to
use the money to buy presents for all his siblings and save just enough to
take the bus home. He had not even entered the mall, when an older boy
grabbed one of the hundred dollar bills and disappeared into the night.
"Why didn't you scream for help?" I asked.
The boy said, "I did." "And
nobody came to help you?" I wondered. The boy stared at the sidewalk and
sadly shook his head.
"How loud did you scream?" I inquired.
The soft-spoken boy looked up and meekly whispered, "Help me!"
I realized that absolutely no one could have heard that poor boy cry for
help. So, I grabbed his other hundred and ran to my car.
And now back to The Boondockers at Giovanni's.
Bill Gunter will be leading the group as usual.  The rest of the band will
consist of Bob Sakoi, trumpet; Paul Edgerton, reeds; Bob Williams, trombone;
Jim Maihack, piano;
Darrell Fernandez, bass and Ralph Thompson, banjo.
Remember, Giovanni's has award winning pizza plus salads, chicken & plenty
of cold drinks.
Giovanni's is located in Sacramento at:
5924 South Landpark Dr.,
Sacramento, CA.
Tel (916) 393-7001.
 Families welcome.
Directions:
>From Sacramento, go south on I-5 to Fruitridge Rd.
Turn left or east, under freeway, and go approximately 1/2 mile.
Turn right on South Landpark Dr.
and go approximately 1/4 mile to South Hills shopping center.
Giovanni's is on the right, next to the large market.
Visit our Boondocker web site and Gift Shop
http://www.theboondockers.com
--Bob Ringwald
 Piano Driver
The Boondockers