[Dixielandjazz] Band Set Ups

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Fri Dec 23 10:29:11 PST 2005

Mike
I guess I should have told you the whole story behind the Sheldon
performance.  The leader of the band is a local doctor who does not play
very well and his sole reason for being is to count off the band and insult
customers.  He does have one talent that is outstanding and that is he can
transcribe recordings note for note off of records and has a great library.
He is a Stan Kenton Wannabe and sets up his band in the V configuration but
usually sets it up straight line and not in the V where the band is more or
less facing each other.  This was the configuration at the Sheldon that
night with the brass facing forward, the rhythm in the center and the saxes
facing forward in a straight line taking up the entire stage.  The
remarkable thing was that I could hear the bass bone player.  To continue.
There is an individual that I have had many years experience with who showed
up that night in his tux carrying bongos.  This person is a piano player who
is extremely nervous and talks so rapidly that it's difficult to understand
him.  This could have been from his service in the merchant marine during
WWII.  He went to sea at age 15.  When the AF was formed he joined the band
which is where I met him.  He does all sorts of bizarre things like practice
his clarinet while driving.  Anyway, this guy parks himself behind me with
his bongos and commenced to play them non stop, even between tunes.  I went
ballistic and told the leader if he liked bongos so much that he should have
him sit behind him.

This guys rehearsals often turn into shouting matches between section
leaders and endless repetitions of tunes because the singer (main squeeze)
can't sing.  After repeating Minnie the Moocher for a solid hour I
suggested, somewhat rudely, that he make a tape and tell her to go away
until she could sing it.  This was the last straw and as it turns out was an
act of gigacide on my part.

This was on the whole a bizarre part of my playing career.  Between the
singers mother (@80)who reads soldier of fortune and carries a 9mm auto, The
lead alto player who is never sober,  the drummer (bongo players son) who
wanted to take me out into the parking lot and fight me, the conspiracy
theories as to how the other band leaders conspire to steal jobs and put his
band down and the radio stations that keep firing his singer girl friend.
The singer is a DJ who has now been reduced to traffic copter reports.  The
whole thing was nuts so getting fired was a good thing.  The Sheldon Theatre
actually overcame all this which is why I thought it was a great place to
play.
Larry
St. Louis