[Dixielandjazz] Re: Parade of the Wooden Soldiers vs. Parade of the Tin Soldiers

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Fri Dec 23 00:14:59 PST 2005

Dear Dave,
An interesting thread and with a Christmas theme too. (Or 'Holiday' theme,
for those silly politically-correct people).
But the important things first.
So far as I know Red Nichols recorded "Parade Of The Wooden Soldiers" only
once. For MacGregor transcriptions in Los Angeles in late February 1945 with
Red Nichols, c; Heinie Beau, cl/arr; Herbie Haymer, ts; Earl Sturgis, p;
Gene Englund or Thurman Teague, sb; Ted Tillman (d).
I have it on LP. Is this the one you used on your program?
I can remember the Betty Boop cartoon too. (Yes, I'm that old.)
The story behind the composition is interesting and well summed up in the
Reader's Digest Merry Christmas Songbook (1981) where William L. Simon