[Dixielandjazz] More on the Audubon String Quartet & Value of Instruments

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Thu Dec 22 13:22:29 PST 2005

I can assure you that if it were me, they would be surrendered about
ten minutes after the  handbrake failed on my car and it rolled over
them in the driveway, oops!   :))

Seems to me they should have had a better Philadelphia Lawyer advise
them long before this to dispose of them legally to avoid any such
nonsense, and send Guido to settle up with the Sueor that sued the
Suees.    A the Price of Success and dissatisfied sidemen.   And they
ain't even Jazz musicians.    They are in the ARTS Business.

Jeers,

Tom (They were stolen your honor) Wiggins

Why a Violin Isn't Just a Fiddle

ANTHONY TOMMASINI - December 22, 2005 - NY Times

As things stand now the cellist Clyde Shaw and his wife, the violist
Doris
Lederer, members of the Audubon String Quartet, will have to surrender
their
instruments to a court-appointed trustee in Roanoke, Va., at 4 p.m.
tomorrow. This is a dismaying result of the quartet's losing a $611,000
judgment in a lawsuit brought by its former first violinist, David
Ehrlich,
over his ouster five years ago.

Now that two dedicated string players must give up their instruments and
bows, valued together at $166,000, the consequences of this seemingly
avoidable lawsuit are horrifyingly real. (The other violinist, Akemi
Takayama, faces a separate legal action.)