[Dixielandjazz] Band Set Ups

Vaxtrpts at aol.com Vaxtrpts at aol.com
Tue Dec 20 21:51:35 PST 2005

In a message dated 12/20/2005 12:32:38 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
larrys.bands at charter.net writes:

One time  I played with a stage band that used the extended "V" Buddy Rich
set
up.  In almost all cases this setup is a disaster without a really  good
monitoring system.  The problem with the setup is that the  brass, especially
the bass trombone are 20-25 feet away from the sax  section with the rhythm
in the center.  Great if you are a drummer  and are going for visual effect
but ordinarily there is no way that the  Bari Sax can hear the Bass Trombone
on the other end of that mess so you  have constant phasing between the two
ends.  Of course the band  leader of that particular group is an idiot but
that's another  story.

Interesting.  I saw Buddy's band many times and never saw him set up  in a
"V."  That is the way we set up with Stan Kenton's band most of the  time.  And
--- most of the time there were no monitors.  We were lucky  to have a few
mics for solos.The Bari Sax and the Bass Trombone played very good  time, just as
the rest of the band did.  The phrasing was impeccable. It is  all in what
you get used to.  (And the leader of the Stan Kenton Orchestra  was definitely
NOT an idiot.) Stan was one of the finest musicians and leaders  that ever
Mike Vax