[Dixielandjazz] Acoustics:

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Tue Dec 20 11:56:32 PST 2005

About 10 years ago I performed in the Mormon Tabernacle with the AF band.
The building is designed to allow a speaker to talk to several thousand
people without amplification.  The roof is like an inverted bathtub.  When
we played, there was a delay in the sound so that the drums sounded more
like machine guns.  We were set up more or less in the sound focus.  That is
right behind the speakers platform in the center about 50 ft in front of the
organ.  By moving the drum section a few feet the echoes were attenuated to
where they didn't bother us.  The sound was being reflected to the center of
the band like a giant sound magnifying glass.  The percussion section really
didn't hear the echoes much.

The Sheldon theatre, in St. Louis, has almost perfect musical acoustics.
The room doesn't look like anything special but is an amazing room.  One
time I played with a stage band that used the extended "V" Buddy Rich set
up.  In almost all cases this setup is a disaster without a really good
monitoring system.  The problem with the setup is that the brass, especially
the bass trombone are 20-25 feet away from the sax section with the rhythm
in the center.  Great if you are a drummer and are going for visual effect
but ordinarily there is no way that the Bari Sax can hear the Bass Trombone
on the other end of that mess so you have constant phasing between the two
ends.  Of course the band leader of that particular group is an idiot but
that's another story.  In the Sheldon I could hear the Bass Trombone
perfectly from the other end of the band.  It's an amazing place.
Larry Walton
St. Louis