[Dixielandjazz] weird instruments (was Deck the Halls With Boston Charlie)

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Sun Dec 11 14:09:33 PST 2005

Since we are on "odd instruments" - I was in a San Jose Thai
resturaunt last night and the background music was  jazz small combo
( some standards ) played on bassoon (with piano, bass, drums and
some female vocals...) The waitress was not able to tell me more info
on the music  but I did some searches today - probably was Daniel
Smith (see this: http://www.danielsmithbassoon.com/  or http://
www.musiciansgallery.com/start/jazz/bassoon_and_beyond.htm )

Interesting!  ( I know Cal Abbott has a bassoon, he used to play it
when he was with "and That's Jazz.)

Sarousaphone, bassoon, and 2 Ophicleides playing OKOM would be quite
something!

Dave Richoux