[Dixielandjazz] Rap

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Thu Dec 8 22:21:06 PST 2005

 -----Original Message-----
 From: Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis <larrys.bands at charter.net>

  That's a little harsh but RAP does seem to play into people's
prejudices.

  TW: Yes it certainly does Larry, just like Dixieland did in the
beginning, and then the Swing era and then Be Bop, and then Rock &
Roll, etc. etc. thru all the other forms, and changes in styles of
music to stay on the CUTTING EDGE and be just different enough to get
noticed and or promoted into the mainstream society of the masses for
recording sales.

  LW: This is very in your face medium and any time someone gets in
another's face about anything it provokes a confrontation where there
may not have been one in the first place. Rap seems to be an equal
opportunity offender and goes to great lengths to portray those who
perform it as being outsiders

  TW: They are OUTSIDERS LARRY, mostly minority youth in the inner
cities sitting around on the street corners because they can't find all
those jobs that have been promised to them over and over by countless
generations of Politicians and Corporate American getting tax breaks
over and over to provide them and the training for the applicants to
qualify them. we saw this in the 50,s we saw it again in the 60,s with
the Black Panthers, the Watts Riots, Symbianese Liberation Army, and
who remembers how many other loudly protesting groups of militant
Blacks crying out and often striking out against all the B.S. they keep
hearing over and over again. While absolutely nothing changes. Except
for the method and delivery of the protest via music,l which has been
on the Political cutting edge of Protest since anyone can remember,
History REPEATS ITSELF.

  LW: and therefore "in" so therefore making the listener "in". (classic
reversal -- Ibaaaad, Ubaaaad, Hebaaaad, Webaaaad etc.) An example is
Murder Incorporated and its CEO took the name Gotti. The further out
the more "in" the purveyors of this stuff are and the more money they
make.

  TW: ABSOLUTELY, they found a need for expression, and a receptive
audience willing to pay to hear it, which in turn is then either bought
out or outright stolen once again from them by the major Corporate
world of not only Music But Television and Movies and Fashion and even
auto accessories, as in Pimp Mobiles, where do ya'll think Zoot Suits
came from Straw Boat Dixielanders changing the fashion image of
America.

 LW: Some white rock bands did this too so it's not something new.

  Teens have for years been in their parents face over music. It's
almost a classic rebellion thing.

  TW: Not quite true picture here Larry: If we will all take a moment
and back up and look at this scenario again , I think we will find it
was the OTHER way around. The Parents were in the kids faces about the
music they wanted to listen to , the clothes they wanted to wear, the
kids they chose to hang out with the books they wanted them to read,
and on and on to try and make the kids all acceptable clones of our own
personalities and values.

  Now be truthful, How many of you did exactly what your Parents wanted
you to do? How quickly we forget :))

  LW: If the parents don't like it then it's "in". There are a lot of
disenfranchised individuals who want to tell the world to F**k off but
don't have the nerve to do it so they listen to someone else doing it
and they can always disclaim it. This is why a lot of it is played with
the windows rolled down and extremely loud. This way they can say up
yours but not actually say it. This stuff plays into the split in the
society and they are making big bucks with it. There are those who
enjoy and promote this split.

  LW: There are those who are racists both black and white who like to
point fingers. Too bad for them.

  Tw: Yes again Larry it is due to pre programming and narrow or closed
mindedness for the most part and refusing to ACCEPT CHANGE, as in How
many times did any of us hear our Parents say "DO as I say not as I do"
Or my father's classic line, " I may not be right but I am never wrong
boy and don't you ever for get that or I will knock you into the middle
of next week."

  LW: I will say one thing that if you took out some of the violence,
and foul language Rap would die overnight. There would be no reason for
it to exist.

  TW: Sorry but you missed the issue again Larry, That is simply not the
case at all, DC Talk took it to the Christian Market and now we have
Christian RAPPERS (PREACHERS with bass and drums behind them and
turntables scratching the Devil's records
  ( as in Rock & Jazz) and Holy Hip Hoppers with their sing songy
versions of the same kind of clean Christian soul savin' lyrics, and
even the Holy ROCK AND HEAVY METAL BANDS ALL SCREAMING IN YOUR FACE
JESUS ROCK WITH MOSTLY Unintelligent LYRICS JUST LIKE THE Real Rock and
Roll bands. And all the while screaming and proclaiming the Us
Christians vs Them ( Secular ) folks unbelieving sinful folks with
their evil vile abominable music corrupting the minds of our Christian
Children.

  Somebody start the bonfire gimme them rock and Dixieland records, put
up a Cross and we can all dance around the fire and PRAY EXCEPT for the
baptist of course and Pentecostal folks who don't Dance or have Sex
standing up because it might lead to dancing. :))

  Back to my Pew now. While Deacon Romans fleeces the flock and takes up
the LOVE offering to pay for the gasoline to start the fire and Sister
Swing gives us a lovely rendition of acceptable not too swingy choir
music to subvert any sudden uncontrollable urges by the Baptist saints
to dance, followed by Bro. Steve Bourbons chamber ensemble playing that
fine old hymn Bringing in the SHEEP BAAAAAA BAAAA.

  Everybody in the game wants to get in on the money generated from all
of it, Bottom line.

  Bro. Jim Kash would you help Deacon Romans count the offering please.
:))

 Rev. Tom- Bob

  CDs,Cassettes, DVDs and Video tapes in VHS, PAL and Beta of Rev. Tom
Bob's sermon today will be available in the vestibule after the service
for $20.00 each folks, limited editions, Limited to how many of you are
willing to shell out the $20.00 to get one. Praise de Lawd and Buke da
Debbile. Get they behind me Bro. Ringwald.