[Dixielandjazz] Rap

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Thu Dec 8 12:11:51 PST 2005

That's a little harsh but RAP does seem to play into people's prejudices.
This is very in your face medium and any time someone gets in another's face
about anything it provokes a confrontation where there may not have been one
in the first place.  Rap seems to be an equal opportunity offender and goes
to great lengths to portray those who perform it as being outsiders and
therefore "in" so therefore making the listener "in".  (classic reversal --
Ibaaaad, Ubaaaad, Hebaaaad,  Webaaaad etc.)  An example is Murder
Incorporated and its CEO took the name Gotti.  The further out the more "in"
the purveyors of this stuff are and the more money they make.  Some white
rock bands did this too so it's not something new.

Teens have for years been in their parents face over music.  It's almost a
classic rebellion thing.  If the parents don't like it then it's "in".
There are a lot of disenfranchised individuals who want to tell the world to
F**k off but don't have the nerve to do it so they listen to someone else
doing it and they can always disclaim it. This is why a lot of it is played
with the windows rolled down and extremely loud.  This way they can say up
yours but not actually say it.  This stuff plays into the split in the
society and they are making big bucks with it.  There are those who enjoy
and promote this split.

There are those who are racists both black and white who like to point
fingers.  Too bad for them.  I will say one thing that if you took out some
of the violence, and foul language Rap would die overnight.  There would be
no reason for it to exist.
Larry Walton
St. Louis