[Dixielandjazz] Looking for a decent solo trombone

Elazar Brandt larryb at actcom.co.il
Fri Dec 2 21:54:12 PST 2005

Steve,

Bone is my original instrument. I've been playing an Olds Opera bass with F
attachment since 1965 -- the only bone I've ever owned. It's always been a
great horn, and still looks and plays like new after 40 years of hard use.
My experience with Olds marching bones recently is also very good. Even
worn, beat up horns have good valve action and nice tone. (I have 4 of
them.) You probably don't want a marching bone, but my point is that their
horns hold up well under fire, and their used ones are still worthy of note.

The F attachment is there if you need or want it, but you of course don't
have to use it. But with a little getting use to, it saves you that reach to
6th and 7th position, more glissando options, and gives you a full octave in
the lowest register so you can actually play bass parts, or just do some
impressive improvising down there.

Good luck,

Elazar
Dr. Jazz Dixieland Band