[Dixielandjazz] Attracting younger listeners (very long)

John Jamieson jamie at surfnetusa.com
Thu Dec 8 07:21:05 PST 2005

Jim O'Briant wrote:
> Tonight I've been working on my "busy social calendar" for the first half of
> 2006, and that includes notes on which jazz clubs meet on which dates, and
> which bands are booked for which meetings.  Somewhat to my dismay, most jazz
> clubs in Northern California seem to be doing a pretty good job of keeping
> that information secret.
>
> This mailing list is constantly full of messages asking, "how can we attract
> a new generation of listeners to Our Kind of Music?"  Well, I think I've
> found a very good way to prevent potential younger fans from ever
> discovering OKOM -- and that is to NOT have current websites for jazz clubs.
>
> Here's an example of what I mean.  The following Jazz Clubs are listed for
> Northern California and Central California in "The American Rag."  (I've
> omitted some non-trad jazz organizations from the list.)
>

> Monterey Hot Jazz Society, Monterey
> * No website listed in "American Rag"
> * Google says: http://www.surfnetusa.com/jamie/
> 	However, this site comes up only about half the
> 	times I try; the other half of the times I get
> 	a 404 error message -- "Page Not Found."  On one
> 	recent visit, the site tried to plant a Trojan
> 	Horse virus on my computer, but was thwarted by
> 	Norton AntiVirus & Norton Firewall.

I maintain the Monterey Hot Jazz Society, Monterey  web site, after
reading the above I did a virus and a spy ware check on my computer and
it is clean. I update the site once a month and add the latest
newsletter, an on line review copy of the newsletter is checked by the
board of directors and a couple of proofreaders. No one has ever
complained of a virus. Over the years I have been told, a few times,
that the site was down. I assume that surfnetusa my provider was working
on their system.

http://www.surfnetusa.com/jamie/

John Jamieson