[Dixielandjazz] Jewish Rap

Ministry of Jazz jazzmin at actcom.net.il
Wed Dec 7 13:02:53 PST 2005

As Tevye said in "Fiddler on the Roof": "If I try to bend that far, I'll
break!"

I don't know, Steve. I know the topic has been beaten to death on the list
many times, but when I listen to the stuff and try to discern any musical
value in it, I keep coming up with the same thing--endless droning noise,
perhaps with some recognizable recurring rhythm. Melody, harmony, poetry,
any of the other elements normally associated with music? I just don't hear
'em.

Just today I saw posters all over Jerusalem for Matisyahu, who is apparently
here on a concert tour. OK, so there are posters for Matisyahu and not for
Doctor Jazz. But I don't care. When I watch what rap, hip hop, trance,
techno, and all this modern stuff does to its audiences, well, that's not
what I want to do to people, even if they'll pay for it. I'm rolling over in
my grave, and I'm not even dead yet!

My 2 shekels' worth. Please don't shoot the banjo player; I'm doing the best
I can.

Elazar
Dr. Jazz Dixieland Band
Tekiya Trumpet Ensemble