[Dixielandjazz] New Orleans Rap???? - What????

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Tue Dec 6 10:18:05 PST 2005

Steve,

It actually is kind of OKOM related - the local thing there is to
combine the music from New Orleans Brass bands ("new style" like
Dirty Dozen. ReBirth, etc.) with the rapping. I have heard this done
pretty well a few times on recordings (YoungBlood Brass Band in
particular ) but the "live" performances by other bands with rappers
at Donna's were not as good, IMO.

Dave Richoux
On Dec 6, 2005, at 6:45 AM, Steve barbone wrote:

> NOT OKOM, IN FACT ABOUT A GENRE DETESTED BY MANY OKOMers. DELETE
> NOW UNLESS
> YOU ARE CURIOUS ABOUT NEW ORLEANS CURRENTLY AS A CENTER OF RAP, AND
> THE NEW
> DEFINITION OF CRIBS.
>
> THE BELOW QUOTE FROM THE ARTICLE IS A BIT MUCH, NO? :-) VBG
>
> "And yet hip-hop is by far New Orleans's most popular musical
> export, and
> perhaps the most exciting."
>
> Cheers,
> Steve