[Dixielandjazz] Re: Shellac, acetate, PVC....

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Mon Dec 5 00:42:12 PST 2005

Dear Hal (and other DJML mates),
All you say is correct.
Except, that the Bing out-take of "Wrap You Troubles In Dream"" was actually
mastered and pressed (DLA 1767C).
The test pressings were made available to 'special' people.
Bing, after all, was 'big' at the time and had a great sense of humour.
It was the illicit 'acetate' copies which were distributed in those early
days. Most, if not all, which were most likely the basis for the badly
reproduced tracks on the LPs and CDs we are now discussing.
I wonder who, in 2005, will now own up to having a copy of the original
shellac test pressing. Must be worth a fortune.
However.
Stop (you have been warned)!
Let's be careful.
We are getting into a section of the DJML where some members know about such
things.
Sure beats talking about trombones, NYE gigs, underpaying promoters,
clarinet reeds, Kenny G and WWW!
And Winton wots-his-name.
Just kidding.
Kind regards,