[Dixielandjazz] Acetates

Anton Crouch anton.crouch at optusnet.com.au
Sun Dec 4 19:34:55 PST 2005

Hello all

Thanks to Hal V and Ron L for the coverage of the
shellac/acetate/cardboard/vinyl matter. Can I complicate the issue by
mentioning, not the issued records but, the medium used for recording?

Wax reigned for decades but I am unsure of the role played by acetate in
the late 30s to mid 40s, ie before the use of magnetic tape. I know that
12inch acetates, running at 33, were use as back-up or "safety" recordings
but was the acetate medium used as a substitute for wax? Ie, was an acetate
matrix used for mastering?

All the best
Anton