[Dixielandjazz] Anything Can Be Anywhere

Dan Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Sat Dec 3 20:33:49 PST 2005

DJMLers--
     Aw, all right, i'll tell you (i've been trying NOT to write this
for half an hour).
     I finally got around to listening to an LP i bought at Half-Price
Books here in Austin a couple of weeks ago for $2.98.  Wasn't
expecting much, although the personnel was excellent: Pee Wee Erwin
on trumpet, Buster Bailey on clarinet, Vic Dickenson on trombone,
Claude Hopkins on piano, George Wettling on drums, and Milt Hinton on
bass.  Interestingly enough, the LP was still in shrink-wrap (which i
don't think i believe could possibly be the original; but why would
they redo it?).
     LP is called _The Golden Era of Dixieland Jazz, 1886-1937_ (yeah,
well, what flack came up with THOSE dates?), on Design Records SDLP
38 (stereo, it says, but this was made in 1957 and the 'stereo' keeps
cutting out).
     Anyhow, i've played side A 4 times now, and side B three times,
and i think i'll play 'em a couple more times.  GREAT stuff!  I've
heard Pee Wee Erwin and the others before, of course, but this was a
great session.  As the unidentified liner-notes writer says, "The
sessions took place at four in the morning, after the boys came off
their regular jobs."  Now i've got to get some more Pee Wee Erwin
albums (www.gemm.com has some, but you have to keep at it to find
them).
     Now i guess i'll have to quit listening to this and listen to the
George Lewis _On Stage_ LP ($2.98), and then the Pete Fountain
_Crescent City_ LP (only $1.98), that i bought at the same time.  I
may have to go out and get another six-pack . . .
     Hey, anything can be anywhere!

     Dan
**  Dan Augustine  --  Austin, Texas  --  ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
**     "Sometimes you have to play a long time to be able
**      to play like yourself."  --  Miles Davis