[Dixielandjazz] Bing Crosby Out Take

dingle at baldwin-net.com dingle at baldwin-net.com
Sat Dec 3 14:20:21 PST 2005

Robert S. Ringwald wrote:

> When I was a kid, my grandmother loved (I mean, looooved) Bing
> Crosby.  She thought that a curse word would never pass his lips.
>
> Someone got a hold of a flexible record (this was in the days of 78's)
> and gave it to her as a present, of what was supposed to be an outtake
> that someone smuggled out of the recording studio.  Who knows, it
> could have been done on purpose as a gag.
>
> Anyway, the song was "Wrap Your Troubles In Dreams."  During the song,
> Bing sings "They left out 8 bars the dirty bastards."
>
> My grandmother, who was very religious, was very disappointed in Bing.
>
> has anyone else ever heard this version?
>
> --Bob Ringwald K6YBV
> The Fulton Street Jazz Band
> The Boondockers (Jazz and Comedy)
> 530/642-9551

No - but Spike Jones had a relases of  a take on By the Sea that had to
be pulled back, since the guys sang a parady line and it went by the
booth and they pressed nearly 500 before someone caught it. I know what
the riske' line was but my E lips are  sealed.
Of  course there is the Carmichael record of Barnicle Bill when Venuti
added a naughty word, but because the record quality was so low at that
time that it didn't get caught until years later they came up with hi-fi
quipment.
These things happen more than we know but are usually caught -- but not
always, so poor Granny Ringwald got her ears scorched!
Don Ingle