[Dixielandjazz] Where is Jazz Going?

Rob McCallum rakmccallum at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 1 13:03:17 PST 2005

Hi Steve and everyone,

This is an interesting article, however, I'm not convinced that the fusion
of jazz and indie rock will be the next new thing.  James Carter is a
fantastic player and, on one hand, I'm a bit surprised that he's going to
start branching outside of jazz.  He made his career being the new voice "in
the tradition" of Ellington, Lester Young, Hard Bop, etc.  His soloing is so
energetic that it practically mesmerizes his live audiences.  However, he
was the new thing in the 90s and I think his career may have stalled a bit
(I see him hanging around Detroit way too much : ).  So, on the other hand,
he may be looking to reinvent himself.  He's almost 40, so he's no longer
the young phenom, and in the modern circle, Ron Blake seems to be the new
guy who everyone's talking about.

The Bad Plus is another story.  This trio does have more in common with the
modern rock crowd than the jazz crowd.  They are young and hip.  I heard
them at the Vanguard right after their first album came out.  I don't know
what their sound is like now, but at the time, the rhythm feel was not a
jazz feel at all, though they did improvise over it (pianist sounds a bit
like Tristano at times).  I think they sound like a jazz group because it's
a piano, bass and drums trio, but the feel doesn't swing (in either a
traditional or modern sense) at all.  It's not meant to.  That's the "modern
rock" element.  Each song is structured around a unique bass line.
Sometimes it seemed awkward.  Perhaps that's because I was always waiting
for the drummer to kick into swing (almost fell out of my chair trying to
anticipate it) (Hadn't heard of them before attending their live show so I
was unaware that they never play in jazz time.)  They were really playing
soundscapes.

I think it's great that they're developing their own sound and that it's
working for them.  The Vanguard was packed and, after their set, the
enthusiastic audience jokingly raised their lighters as if at a rock
concert.  The band obliged with two encores until Lorraine Gordon stood up
and said, "Okay, okay.  That's enough."  I don't know that they'll spawn too
many imitators, but at least they're trying something new.

I played in a group about ten years ago that was trying to blend indie rock
and jazz flavors.  The issue seems to be that modern alternative rock is
rhythmically stiff and usually completely arranged.  It doesn't leave room
for improv or room for individual "voices."  I think that classic rock (ala
the Doors etc) had more in common with jazz because it left more room for
musicians to express themselves.

BTW--Apparently Smalls (the cutting edge, all-night jazz room in the Village
that brings up young talent) has reopened in its previous location.
According to the Web site, they now have a bar (it previously didn't sell
anything--patorns would pay a $10 cover to listen to various groups until
dawn).  The owner also has another place around the corner called the Fat
Cat, which now also has jazz seven nights a week.  It's not Dixieland, but
it is where the younger jazz guys are cutting their teeth.

All the best,
Rob McCallum