[Dixielandjazz] New Orleans - musicians' relief fund?

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Wed Aug 31 21:30:36 PDT 2005

 Hi Dick and All:

  Yes it is possible for us to set up a massive series of fundraising
activities to assist all of which would be appreciated, but let us all
sit back take a deep breath and understand the magnitude of this
terrible disaster before we run off half cocked albeit well intentioned.

  There will be numerous organizations and fund raisers jumping on the
band wagon and collecting monies to be allegedly dispersed to those in
need. we should all be aware from the not to distant experience of the
911 situation how easily millions of well intended dollars were
diverted to bureaucratic salaries etc. with even the major
Organizations like the Red Cross.

  The Musicians Union has long been proven to be inept at best, and the
musicians that will be affected the most by this tragedy are probably
not even members of the union anyway. Let us be smarter than that and
not piss money down any proven rat holes.
Any business or organization in New Orleans for all practical reasons
is effectively OUT OF BUSINESS.   They have not electricity, no phones,
no television, no banks open. no access to money, no mail delivery etc.
etc.   Life as we all know and enjoy it is for the time being over in
New Orleans folks.   Hopefully many of our friends and musos did indeed
escape and are safe.   Some however simply are not that smart or lucky.
  The full shock of this situation is yet to come.

  This is a most tragic situation that will touch all of us on this list
much deeper than most of the world, so we should think about it for a
moment before jumping off into well meaning ventures to raise a couple
of hundred bucks.   Let us put our collective heads together and
enormous talents and energy to do something that will show the support
world wide of OKOM and raise some real money to help those Musicians
specifically that are probably in the best case scenario currently
homeless.  They will also face many months of lost gigs, so it is in
our best interest to try and coordinate employment situations for as
many displaced New Orleans Musicians as possible.

This situation is our equivilant of the Tsunami situation of last Dec.

Let us be at least smart enough to use this unfortunate situation to
further the image and preservation and cause of OKOM while supporting
our very needy brothers and sisters in the musical community that WE
ALL CLAIM TO ADORE AND REVERE.

Why not organize a Nationwide Festival tour of the best of the best and
use all of the local supporting acts in each market to have some super
OKOM events and get the long overdue media coverage and pump up the
image of OKOM to National attention.

In other words folks lets back up a minute and look at the big picture
and make it work for all of us.   We can all help of course but let's
do it correctly and make it work much more effectively and really do
some good instead of just feeling good about it.

I have already been contacted by several musicians in groups in the San
Francisco bay area willing to help raise money for these musos and
these folks are not even OKOM musicians.  They have even asked for
donations of rooms to house displaced players till they can get it
together to move on etc.   This is a very real tragedy folks much
bigger than most of us can even imagine.

Think about it and I welcome all ideas and trust me I am already
working on situations to help organize concerts and events with all my
Big Name star friends and former clients in this industry to come
together and raise some real money.  This is no easy task to coordinate
but if we all go slowly we can do it and make a real difference and
actually help some folks who will other wise simply fall through the
cracks.   Our best endeavor is to tighten our ranks and support our OWN
rather than blindly throw money at organizations because they are on
the "A" list for receiving funding.

cheers,

Tom Wiggins