[Dixielandjazz] New Orleans survivors

Norman Vickers nvickers1 at cox.net
Wed Aug 31 18:28:26 PDT 2005

To: Listmates
Re:  New Orleans survivors

I had a call from trumpeter Connie Jones today.  He and Elaine went to
visit relatives in Montgomery, so they're safe.  Said he's going to
Dallas to stay with family until they can determine what to do. Connie
said that his son in nearby Jefferson Parish had reported in safe.

Pat Cooke wrote a note on a borrowed computer.  He was staying with
friends in Metairie.  So, he's OK.  Didn't say what his long-term plans
were.

See below-note from Mark Samuels of Basin St. Records.  He reports on
several musicians.

If I hear more, I'll post the news. I think I posted that we had some
erosion at Pensacola Beach and had 60+ mph winds but no major damage.
All our bridges are intact. The Jazz Society of Pensacola office is
without air conditioning and has only partial lighting, but we're making
do.  Surely we'll be back to normal at our office soon.  We grieve for
our friends on the Mississippi Gulf Coast and in New Orleans.

A PERSONAL MESSAGE FROM MARK SAMUELS, PRESIDENT, BASIN STREET RECORDS
Many of you have contacted us. Thank you for your well wishes. My
brother, Will, made it up to New York and my children, my parents, my
girlfriend, her dog, and I are waiting in Memphis, Tennessee. We will be
heading to St. Louis for a wedding this weekend, and are not sure where
we will go after that.

As far as our staff, Jeremy is safe in Connecticut, Emily is in Houston,
and Jack is in Atlanta. We don't know where Hal is.

Kermit Ruffins, Irvin Mayfield, Ronald Markham(NOJO's CEO), and Theresa
Andersson are all safe in Baton Rouge. Bill Summers reports that he is
safe. Michael White is safe in Houston. Jon Cleary is safe in California
preparing for a tour with Bonnie Raitt. Henry Butler is safe in Monroe
and on his way to a private gig today. Jason Marsalis is safe in Japan
recording with Marcus Roberts.

We also know that Derrick Freeman and Corey Henry from Kermit's band are
safe, but haven't heard from others yet. Please let us know if you are
ok out there.

Norman-We survived Katrina--Vickers