[Dixielandjazz] Request for lyrics (and.....'What can we do to help N.O.?)

Berry Zand Scholten berryzandscholten at quicknet.nl
Wed Aug 31 11:53:22 PDT 2005

Enkhuizen, The Netherlands, August 31st, 2005

Dear list friends,

With great interest I followed the discussions about the 100th birthday of
Jack Teagarden. I agree with most of the respondents : I took quite a while
before T. was honoured adequately. However, to blame all the listmates for
that - as the tremendous Dutch trombone player Dick Sleeman did -- is
probably a bit over the top, but in essence he was right....It took quite a
while, indeed. The respons on his bitter remarks came quick: 'We
commemorated Big T. during our gigs", and in our own way....!'.

Let it be.

Anyway...a lot of us played Jack's music in this period, put his records on
the turntable or his CD's in the player. 'Coast Concert' , 'Jazz Ultimate' ,
the sessions with Louis Armstrong, the records he made with Norma and
Charlie, Donm Goldie, so many others....

A lot of Jack's collegues, like Dorsey,  are in these weeks mentioned as
well.

Listening to Jack's records I suddenly wondered: 'Why don't we hear anything
about that other wonderful, swinging trombonist Abe Lincoln? He played
fantastic change chorusses with Jack Teagarden and I've never been able to
buy a record, a tape or a CD of him. 'CD Universe', the big
internet-CD-store in the US :  'No artist under the name Abe Lincoln'.

I really do hope that somebody can put me on the right track in this case.

Our saxophoneplayer Ronald Jansen Heijtmajer is momentarely writing a
special arrangement on Jack's  'Mis'ry and the Blues'. Can anybody provide
me the lyrics of that wonderful Teagarden-song?

And hopefully somebody on this wonderful global list has the lyrics of Chris
Barber's 'Take me back to New Orleans'  for me? Some parts of Barber's
lyrics are hard to understand for me.
I must admit that it sounds ridiculous in these days....'Take me back to New
Orleans', because the  city is now completely flooded.

Immediately after the catastrophal tsunami in Asia a hughe international
campaign for help and assistance was organized. I don't think this will be
the case for N.O. now, ''cause,  eh,  'this is the rich country, America,
you know?' But there are a lot of poor people in New Orleans, who were not
able to escape on time. And what to think of the people who lost
everything....house, car, furniture, equipment.....horrable!

New Orleans - where it all started with our kind of music -- is hurt badly
and deeply now. I wonder if we could organize something, does'nt matter on
which scale. Maybe the jazzworld can do something special for the city that
we all love. Perhaps a small gesture can generate something bigger.

It's just a simpel idea.

I wonder: 'Is there a Bob Geldoff in our midst?'

Anyway...thanks in advance for anyone who is willing to help me out with the
lurics of  'Mis'ry and
the Blues' and 'Take me back tot New Orleans'.

And let us dò something for the people over there....t

Best regards,

Berry Zand Scholten
trombonist of the Pepperhouse Swing Factory, The Netherlands.