[Dixielandjazz] "Crotchets"

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 31 11:08:30 PDT 2005

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the update on the term "Crotchet."  I had looked it up in my
Merriam-Webster and didn't find it. But right after I e-mailed you to ask
what it was I went and looked it up in  my Elson's Music Dictionary and
there it was.

By the way, you wrote:

>Of course the total number that I calculated includes an enormous number of
>combinations of notes that wouldn't be considered melodies, e.g. 16 F#'s on
>the beat, but it wouldn't surprise me to learn that a John Cage had already
>written such a tune.

How about a song that has the following for the first 16 notes?:

G-E-G-E-G-E-G-E / G-E-G-E-G-E-G-E / . . .

It looks like that may be a pretty dumb song. But if you didn't recognize it
you might sing the lyrics . . . "Nothing could be finer than to be in
Carolina in the . . ."

admittedly, this song doesn't use straight quarter notes. Instead it uses
dotted eights and 16ths.

Also, I don't think John Cage was capable of writing somethat that
sophisticated!   :-)

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "Thimbles" Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com