[Dixielandjazz] Reflections on New Orleans

Richard Broadie rbroadie at dc.rr.com
Wed Aug 31 10:28:13 PDT 2005

Looks like we're all learning what it means to miss New Orleans these days.
This song was introduced in the circa 1944 film "New Orleans" as sung by
Billie Holiday.  My good friend (I was his bass player off and on for about
10 years) Charlie Beal taught her the song because she couldn't read music.
(He was on piano in the film along with Armstorng, Teagarden, Bigard et al
in the film.)

 I've never been to the Big Easy but played with many musicians from that
area that moved to the LA area in the 1960s.  Geez, I miss it and I've never
even been there.

Dick Broadie