[Dixielandjazz] Permutations

Jerry Gordon jerrygordon at juno.com
Tue Aug 30 16:44:39 PDT 2005

"Crotchet" (as used by Bob) means "quarter note." I get a different
answer than he got, but I don't know how he did his math.

4 measures of quarter-notes, assuming 4/4 time and only 8 possible notes
or a rest, means there are 9-to-the-16th-power possible combinations.
This is 1.85302E15, or, for those not familiar with scientific notation,
1,853,020,000,000,000, which is significantly smaller than Bob's answer
(but still over 7 million years, at one per second).

This does not include the rhythmic variations that Bill asked about, nor
does it include other time signatures, nor any notes beyond the basic 8.
I don't think we're going to run out of tunes soon.

(As an aside, if we consider 8th notes (semi-crotchets?), then the same 4
measures of 4/4 time yields 9-to-the-32nd-power possible combinations,
which has 15 more zeroes than the number above! And we stil haven't
considered other time signatures or any notes beyond the basic 8, or any
notes other than 1/4, 1/8 and rests.)

Jerry "how high can you count" Gordon