[Dixielandjazz] Twinkle, twinkle ...

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Tue Aug 30 13:13:29 PDT 2005

Bill Gunter writes:

> EVERYBODY loves this song (OK, let's all sing the alphabet song . . .)!
> There must be something really elemental about this melody that has an
> automatic appeal to whatever brain hemisphere relates to this sort of
> stuff. It seems to be virtually universal.
  (snip)

Another universal thing is "Shave and a hair cut, six bits."

I am curious as to whether this phrase is known or used in other parts of
the world, England, Australia, South America, Hungary, France, Russia,
China, etc?

Maybe not the same words, but the rhythm used as a knock.

--Bob Ringwald
The Boondockers (Jazz and Comedy)
Fulton Street Jazz Band