[Dixielandjazz] Re: More information about my wonderful cheap soprano

Charlie Hooks charliehooks2 at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 29 15:26:11 PDT 2005

On Monday, August 29, 2005, at 04:06 PM, Larry Walton Entertainment
wrote:

> The old Bueschers have a low end to kill for and that's true but the
> high end is a little weak.  New horns are made with a more powerful
> high end because modern music demands the ability to scream. Older
> music features the low end more. Rock changed everything.

This is also true of my old Buescher curved soprano: the low end is
well in tune (for a soprano), but the higher notes are all "play at
your own risk!"    This silver horn is also from 1927, and I bought
it from the guy who had bought it new in that year; I took it out of
the case, and it played!  Some moth eaten pads, but it actually
played if you forced it a bit.   One general overhaul put it in
excellent condition--but nothing repairs the intonation except your
mouth--with each note--separately.

For a number of years I had a Saxello that, with a metal mouthpiece,
could blast trumpet players into another dimension.   Someone stole
if off the stand about 30 years ago: I'm sure the thief was an
annoyed trumpet player.