[Dixielandjazz] Re: More information about my wonderful cheap soprano

Larry Walton Entertainment larrys.bands at charter.net
Mon Aug 29 14:06:17 PDT 2005

The old Bueschers have a low end to kill for and that's true but the high end is a little weak.  New horns are made with a more powerful high end because modern music demands the ability to scream. Older music features the low end more. Rock changed everything.

I have not been able to play the horn since the kid that sold it to me committed suicide.  He had been hurt in the back in an industrial accident and as a result he had become addicted to morphine patches. His doctor decided that he didn't need the drug and the kid was in constant pain.  I guess he's cured now!

I called him a kid because he was my son's age and friend but he was in his mid 30's.

He made money by buying things in garage sales.  He bought the tenor for $50 and I gave him $300.  It cost another 600 to be put back into mint condition.  For a good sounding horn this is a bargain but  I think it will be awhile before I play it again.  I've been using my conn 10 M.  Speaking of the Conn 10 M there are several versions.  The full nude the half nude and everything else.  Newer 10's have a wild tone that isn't quite as easy to control but they are hotter in the upper end than my 10 M.  If you look on the bell you can see the nude or half nude woman in the engraving.  I have been told they took them off so they could sell to schools.

Larry
St. Louis