[Dixielandjazz] Re: George Rock - Minka

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sun Aug 28 18:00:20 PDT 2005

Dear Stan,
You said: >What I question, Bill, is George Rock being listed as the
composer. Certainly, he probably added his changes to the variations to what
was essentially Jules Levy's composition. This would be like Fats Waller's
name being listed on his recording of "Star Dust".<
I can only agree.
But, as we have discovered on the DJML before, it has been happening for a
very long time.
Arrangers adding their names to a particular piece.
The "Minka" melody, being in the 'public domain', was therefore fair  game.
Think Ziggy Elman and "Fralich In Swing". To which, in 1939, Johnny Mercer
added lyrics  (and his name) and renamed it "And The Angels Sing".
All spelt out on a Bob Crosby Camel Caravan broadcast.
Regards,
Bill.