[Dixielandjazz] A prayer for N.O.

dingle at baldwin-net.com dingle at baldwin-net.com
Sun Aug 28 12:35:40 PDT 2005

As we look at the impending potential for disastrous damage to New
Orleans  and the Louisiana area, Jean and I can only pray that some
veering of the storm path will save this historic cradle of jazz. For us
there is a certain personal link to this city. We were married in N.O.
and will be having our 50th anniversary this November. We tied the knot
in Grace Episcipal church on Canal Street right across from the Vieux
Carre and spent most of a month there as I was playing a long stand with
Ted Weems at the old Roosevelt Hotel's Blue Room.
We had contemplated going down there to celebrate this year, but it
looks like this will not happen. We do fear for the safety of  good
friends of long standing like Charlie Lodice, Roz Kohlman (Freddie's
widow), and many other jazz friends living there we made over the years.
So I guess we are joining our Yankee prayers to those of the rest of the
country that this special place of our jazz roots willl somehow weather
the worst of it. But it sure looks like something or someone really
pissed off the weather spirits because this category 5 rating is the
highest that this grand old city on the Mississippi has ever had to
face. Hope you'll add your prayers to ours.
Don Ingle