[Dixielandjazz] Re: Louis Armstrong and more

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 27 22:02:14 PDT 2005

Hi all,

Leslie wrote:

>Drummer Barrett Deems referred to Armstrong as Pops and told me it was
>because Armstrong was like a father to him. He worshipped the man and said
>playing
>in his band was the highlight of his career.

That's all fine . . . but the ongoing argument as to which is correct,
"Louie" or "Louis," strikes me as essentially meaningless.

I've already posted that "Louie" is the diminutive of "Louis" and
diminutives are never used as signs of either ignorance or disrespect. They
are actually terms of affection which indicate warm feelings toward those so
addressed.

Nobody responded to this earlier posting of mine so I assumed tacit
agreement.

To say or imply that one is "proper" and the other not is nothing more than
the imposition of some non-existant "rule."

Furthermore . . . I might even say that to refer to L. Armstrong as "Pops" -
particularly to his face, if you are not (1) a member of his circle of
personal friends or (2) in a "show biz" context where such things are done
all the time, could be a sign of presumptiousness . . . but I wouldn't say
that.

Additionally, to refer to Armstrong as "Satchmo" (is that a contraction of
"satchel mouth?) when you have never met the man is even more presumptious.
I don't care what the media calls him.

But basically, the position that "Louie" is somehow not to be used is really
carrying the idea of "correctness" to an absurd degree.

Respectfully submitted,

Billy Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com