[Dixielandjazz] Re: the next dumb thing after Gig Bags are opened

Larry Walton Entertainment larrys.bands at charter.net
Sat Aug 27 13:32:21 PDT 2005

Well Russ the same thing happened to me.  I have a Winston soprano.  The
horn plays nice except the high register.  I can play it in tune but it's
not naturally in tune.  It does have a nice tone but so many of these
imports are really soft metal.  I did the same trick and it went over
bending the body of the horn and everything attached to it.  Lucky we have a
killer repair shop here.  They didn't charge me much because the laughs were
worth it to them.  So after three trips for adjustment problems I decided to
buy a Yamaha Custom at ten times the price.  The Yamaha is a great horn.  I
keep the Winston as an emergency horn.

Funny thing the Winston stock mouthpiece will not play on the Yamaha.
Yamaha stock mouthpieces really suck.  I was using a 3.5 or 4 Rico Royal on
the Winston.  I Bought a Bari mouthpiece on the recommendation of a friend
and it plays really well but a 2 or 2.5 reed feels about the same as a 4 on
the other mouthpiece.  A weak reed was, intonation wise, a waste of time on
the Winston.

Larry
St. Louis