[Dixielandjazz] Jazz preservation in Europe?

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Sat Aug 27 02:10:12 PDT 2005

Mike C. wrote:
I honestly believe that the europeans clearly beat us at our own game when
it comes to jazz preservation, attracting new audiences and supporting the
artists that play the music. They learned from us and now they kick our ass
at it.

Mike, I don't think it has much to do with "preservation" as much as
"appreciation", and that has many different sides.  First, this is not a new
thing.  Look at all the black jazzers who hit Europe in the 1940/1950's (&
early & later than those dates).  Not only were the recognized as first rate
citizens, their music was loved, whereas they couldn't get a gig in the U.S.

There is little of the "pigdeon holing" that goes on in the U.S. as far as
styles go here.  I mean, we can't even decide on what Dixieland is on this
list so we call it OKOM!  Over here, if they hear a band they like, they
enjoy it!  No one asks "is this New Orleans style or is it Chicago style,
etc.?" Or say to us, "oh, you didn't do the verse to Alexander's, so you
don't really qualify as a proper Dixieland band", or "you don't have a 3 man
front line, so....blah, blah, blah!" They don't know that much about it, or
even care.

If it's good music, they enjoyable it, and don't sweat it's history, it's
styles, or even it's life expectancy.

By the way, and it is only MY opinion, whether or not people like Jamie C.
are having great success or not has nothing to do with what any of us are
doing.  I can't believe anyone will connect his jazz with our jazz.  I only
mentioned him here on DJML because I didn't know who he was, and I found his
style innovating, exciting, and fun.  Jazz?  Some of his tunes were standard
jazz, the rhythm section most of the time was jazzy (the drummer was
excellent!), but I see no connection with what we all do with what he does,
except that he "entertains", and that is what I hope we are all trying to
do, also.

Jim