[Dixielandjazz] "Benny's From Heaven"

Robert Newman bobngaye at surewest.net
Sun Aug 21 11:36:32 PDT 2005

What a co-inkeedink, John -- I just happen to be listening to it -- and what
I hear goes like this:

VERSE

A long time ago a second lieutenant named Spears
Returned to the States after staying overseas three years.
His wife said, "Welcome home, Dear
"but since you've been gone, you see
"we've been blessed with a darling baby,
"and a cute little one is he."

She took the baby in her arms
and said, "Benny is his name."
He said, "I've been gone away for years
"Darling, won't you please explain
"so I won't be so down
"tell me where did little Benny come from?"

CHORUS (To chorus of Pennies From Heaven)

And everytime he asked she'd say,
"Benny's from Heaven."
His face got red.
Still she repeatedly said,
"Benny's from Heaven."

He says, "I've asked the neighbors
"that come around.
"Noone seems to remember
"Benny coming down."

Now -- he said, "About a little thing like this
"I ordinarily would not bother.
"But, Baby, what little I know about children
"I know they gotta have fathers.
"And when I look at little Benny
"I can plainly see
"Benny must be from Heaven
"'cause he damned sure ain't from me!"

John, the chorus all fits the PFH melody but you have to do some fast
triple-tonguing to make it fit the metre.

Have fun,

Bob Newman