[Dixielandjazz] Kids & Dixieland

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Thu Aug 25 01:25:26 PDT 2005

Steve wrote:
If we truly want to get kids to enjoy OKOM, in any form, then more OKOM
bands than mine or Kash's must do what we are doing.

There IS a difference, though, Steve.  While you actively seek this
particular audience, our audience is just there, as I mentioned in my post.
It's the kids that are on the streets at night, and they are the ones that
storm into wherever we are playing.  The good part is that they don't leave!

As I stated in an earlier post, there are some that prefer the "family
feeling" of the Festivals.  That's ok. They've got their schedules down pat,
and most likely play enough to fit their daily lives & satisfy their musical
desires. There are some that prefer the night club, smokey thing. That's ok,
and great if it's available...as in our case here in Madrid.  I like playing
a lot of nights, and get "itchy" when more than a week goes by without
playing, so I don't think I could last between festivals.

Your particular 10 page FREE treatise that you mention may be (& must be)
good for you, but it will not be the icing on the cake for everyone here.
So, I don't think you should worry so much as to whether anyone is getting
it or not.

Jim