[Dixielandjazz] Re: Way down yonder patter?

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Wed Aug 24 20:50:58 PDT 2005

Dear David,
I have just checked the following versions of "WDYINO", all from 1922-23, to
see if they include the 'tango' part.
Herewith the results:
The Georgians  21 Dec 1922                no
Gene Fosdick   Jan 1923                      no
Cotton Pickers  9 Feb 1923                 yes
Paul Whiteman  21 Feb 1923              yes
Orchestre Syncopatin' Six  July 1923   yes    A 'tangoish' shuffle rhythm
throughout and the 16 bar tango part as a sax solo. There is also a vocal.
All have the verse introduction and are somewhat similar.
It therefore seems that the tango part was probably part of the original
stock arrangement.
Now to locate the original sheet music.
I do not have the versions by:
Dixie Daises  Oct 1922
Bailey's Lucky Seven  8 Dec 1922
George Kelly Original Six  Feb 1923
Sammy Swift's Jazz Band  Feb 1923
Kind regards,
Bill.
PS: The Cotton Pickers Sept 1922 version of "I wish I could shimmy like my
sister Kate" has been a long-time favourite of mine.
But why is the Doddsian clarinet solo by Jimmy Lytell part so familiar?
Something used later by the King Oliver Creole Jazz Band?
I have been trying to identify it ever since I bought the LP all those years
ago.
One day the penny will drop.
Bill.