[Dixielandjazz] public school music

Cebuisle2 at aol.com Cebuisle2 at aol.com
Wed Aug 24 11:00:28 PDT 2005

Hello list-

I've followed the thread concerning school music programs on the site. Like
Russ, I am a retired teacher and band director who subs frequently for the
county music educators.
The programs I have seen vary widely from school to school. Some are
innovative, some exhibit music staff who are just marking time before a switch  to
another school or vocation.
The frustration level is high, the pay low. Football performances take a
front seat here in the South, marching competitions a close second. The small
so-called "jazz bands" at the public concerts play a wide variety of music, much
 of which would be highly suspect for lack of jazz content. One director is
into  sophisticated Latin jazz, another always uses a lot of dissonance and
others  have the . well, BOOM BOOM BOOM beat going throughout. The younger
educators  have little or no knowledge of traditional jazz forms, they didn't  learn
them in college.. Student music appreciation here is divided between  the
"rappers" and the County fans. There is a smattering of heavy metal, gothic,
etc. but no jazz. When the kids ask me what kind of music I like and I tell them
there are puzzled looks .

Each post had some truth in it-but the programs here vary widely in  quality-
The only universal truth is-there's no hot jazz.

      tradjazz