[Dixielandjazz] Other media...

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Tue Aug 23 02:54:21 PDT 2005

Since I posted my announcement about our band "going to the theater", I
realized I didn't make the announcement about(read "brag about"!)the Canal
Street Jazz Band is also now featured on a children's "learn to play the
recorder" CDs and books (a total of 6 books).  We worked with the book
publishers, Pearson Education, on this project.

"The Canal" plays some jazz tunes, very basically, along with two recorder
flutes which play the melody on the CD.  There are gobs of other tunes that
are traditional Spanish children's tunes that we play, also.  The band even
improvises (take choruses) on these songs so the kids can hear what it is to
get away a bit from the melody.  This is all very basic stuff, though.
Certainly not far out.  We are given marvelous credits on the written pages,
and the music is noted on a normal staff for the kids to read along to.  All
of the recordings, of course, are done in my studio.

Due to the success of that project, I am now recording, mixing & producing a
total of 36 children's books for these people.  There is music involved, but
it's mostly sounds:  cars, clocks, various percussion instruments (our
drummer is collaborating with me on these), snoring, sneezing, baby sucking,
baby crying, etc., etc.  I've had to go out and buy children's toys to make
some of the sounds.  It's fun to come up with some of the sounds.  The baby
sucking on a bottle is me...sucking on a pen! Ice skating:  use 2 knives on
the bottom of a fry pan & add reverb!  (What do you think you hear when you
go to the movies?)

One of the songs, mixed up with all the traditional Spanish children's songs
is The Canal Street Jazz Band playing Alexander's Ragtime Band, off of one
of our CD's.

The music goes on........

Jim