[Dixielandjazz] Jamie Cullum or Rob McCallum?

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 22 13:32:42 PDT 2005

Hi all,

Steve B wrote:

>Some, like Sacramento, or the Baltimore Symphony are
>trying different approaches to reverse that trend.

Does anyone recall the name of the young "hippy" concert violinist?  I can't
remember his name, but he came to Sacramento (where I live) and performed
with the Sacramento Symphony (r.i.p.) about 10 or so years ago. I believe he
played one of the Mozart string concertos.

The program notes indicated that he had not only performed with many of the
county's leading symphony orchestras, he has also performed with the
Beatles!

He was dressed in a pretty outlandish fashion, the overall look derived from
the "punk" fashion of the day and, as I recall, his hair was dyed some
bright color and styled in a rather extreme "do." He was not dressed
anything like anyone else on the stage all of whom wore the standard tuxedo
with black bow tie . . . I believe the conductor, Carter Nice, got to wear a
tux with tails and a white bow tie.

The logic of this escaped me, because the people he was impressing with his
appearance were already at the concert. The people he wanted to "reach" and
attract to the symphony (the young and the hip) were all somewhere else.

They should have ADVERTISED the event and splashed his "hipness" all over
the entertainment sections of all the local media and maybe even  put up a
billboard with his picture printed in vivid colors.

As I recall, he was a competent violinist (perhaps lacking a bit of the
virtuosity of Zucherman or Perlman) and he gave an enjoyable concert.

For an encore he played a Beatles tune (don't remember which one) and
sprinked it with lots of quotes from classical melodies. I enjoyed that part
a lot because he did it with a flair and a smile and we all knew what he was
playing.

Damn . . . can't remember his name - anyone know who that might have been?

Cheers,

Bill Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com