[Dixielandjazz] "Jazzin' babies blues"

David W. Littlefield dwlit at cpcug.org
Mon Aug 22 08:09:32 PDT 2005

Re discussions of early jazz instrumentation, here's the lyrics to "Jazzin
babies blues"--see Verse 1, Chorus 1.

I got into it because of King Oliver's record, which significantly modifies
the original melody. The original melody of the chorus, lines 1 & 2, is
almost identical to the first two lines of "Tin roof blues'" chorus!

You can hear the original version complete on Eva Taylor's 1923 record
w/Clarence Williams and Sidney Bechet. (Clarence Williams, Vol. 1 1923,
Jazz Archives 15929, which is currently available from Worlds Records) The
record is much more usable than Ethel Waters' 1923 version.

A worthy tune, apart from the equally worthy Oliver version.
--Sheik
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jazzin' babies blues (1922, Richard M. Jones)
Verse:
1.  I'm feeling lonely   for the jazz blues only
   since I heard those   Jazzin' Babies play 'em.
Each time I hear them   how they made me weep and
   moan.///   //to hear that
Old slide trombone   and that moaning saxo-
   phone.///   ///Those (To chorus 1)

2.  I feel like rippin'   where those jazzin' pippin
   babies play. They   harmonize together.
The blues they playing   makes me think of Dixie
   Land.///   //Jazz babies
Blues have something   'bout them you can under-
   stand.///   /// I've (to chorus 2)

Chorus:
1.  Jazzin' babies blues are driving   me insane. There's
   nothing to them but that lonesome   blue refrain./ but
When that cornet and that flute be-   gin to play,/ just
   makes me get right up and throw my-   self away, just play those
Jazzin' Babies   Blues for me all night and   day.///   /// No

2. Matter where I hear those jazzin'   blues I'll shout,/ I
   gets unnecessary, I mean   in and out,/ then
I just shake my shoulders and a   wicked knee./ I
   feel just like i've been out on an
   all night spree, now play those
Jazzin' Babies   Blues once more for me, Oh   me!///   ///Those

3.  (I've) Got those juazzin' babbies blues I   feel so sad. I
   mean the worst old feeling that I've   ever had. Now
I don't want no sugar stirred   in my tea, those
   jazzin' babies blues are sweet e-   nough for me, for when the
Band starts jazzin',   peaches shiver on the   tree.///   /// Each

4.   Time I hear those jazzin' babies   blues, I scream, just
   listen to that jazzy dazzy   violin. That
Old pianoman he sure can   jazz 'em some, they
   make me think of some things that my   daddy done. Just play those
Jazzin' babies   blues until the sergeant   comes.///   ///|