[Dixielandjazz] Re: "Benny's From Heaven"

Don Kirkman donkirk at covad.net
Mon Aug 22 00:20:43 PDT 2005

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 22:59:04 -0500, Hal Vickery wrote:

>Here are the approximate lyrics:

>VERSE:

>A long time ago a second lieutenant named Spears
>Returned to the States after staying overseas three years.
>His wife said, "Welcome home, dear,
>But since you've been gone, you see
>We've been blessed with a darling baby,
>And a cute little one is he."

>She took the baby in her arms and said, "Benny is his name."
>He said, "I've been gone away three years, darling,
>Can't you please explain so I won't be so dumb,
>Tell me where did little Benny come from?"

>CHORUS:

>And every time he'd ask she'd say, "Benny's from heaven."
>His face got red, and still she said, "Benny's from heaven."
>He said, "I've asked the neighbors that come around,
>And no one can seem to remember Benny coming down."

>He said, "About a little thing like this I ordinarily would not bother,
>But, baby, what little I know about children,
>I know they've got to have fathers.
>And when I look at little Benny I can plainly see
>That Benny must be from heaven because he damn sure ain't from me."

>Hal Vickery

That's about the way I remember the words [the title is
"Bennie's/Benny's from Heaven" as in "Bennie/Benny is"] from when it got
a lot of airplay in my area a few years ago.  It may be a Johnny Burke
tune, or not; it was sung by one of the light jazz singers like Eddy
Jefferson, Mose Allison, or Dave Frishberg (sp?).  Haven't heard it for
a while, mostly because my listening habits changed.
--
Don Kirkman