[Dixielandjazz] Bennies

EDWIN COLTRIN boreda at sbcglobal.net
Sun Aug 21 22:11:31 PDT 2005

Tom ;

You forgot to mention that the price of a "Joint" in the 1930's was about  $ 1.00,  and the GIs in the service got "Elixir of Turpin Hydrate w/ codiene" or ASA #3. which had codiene for coughs and fever or pain. The four ounce bottle was rapidly consumed. And the request for more was not unusual.Other liquid diets included Lydia Pinkhams Liquid, ~18 % alcohol. In the 50's there was a OTC product that addicted many people to the HIGH alchol content. To my knowledge it is no longer available , name escapes.

The alternative to heavy coffee drinking by college students preparing for exams was Benzedrine (Bennies), which left them as Zombies during or after the exams. As I understand the CRASH was terrible.

No adulterated beveries for me

Slainte

Ye Olde Mouldy Fygge

Ed Coltrin    (lurker in diguise)