[Dixielandjazz] Re: "Benny's From Heaven"

Hal Vickery hvickery at svs.com
Sun Aug 21 20:59:04 PDT 2005

Here are the approximate lyrics:

VERSE:

A long time ago a second lieutenant named Spears
Returned to the States after staying overseas three years.
His wife said, "Welcome home, dear,
But since you've been gone, you see
We've been blessed with a darling baby,
And a cute little one is he."

She took the baby in her arms and said, "Benny is his name."
He said, "I've been gone away three years, darling,
Can't you please explain so I won't be so dumb,
Tell me where did little Benny come from?"

CHORUS:

And every time he'd ask she'd say, "Benny's from heaven."
His face got red, and still she said, "Benny's from heaven."
He said, "I've asked the neighbors that come around,
And no one can seem to remember Benny coming down."

He said, "About a little thing like this I ordinarily would not bother,
But, baby, what little I know about children,
I know they've got to have fathers.
And when I look at little Benny I can plainly see
That Benny must be from heaven because he damn sure ain't from me."

Hal Vickery