[Dixielandjazz] Re: Second Request "Five Pennies" Lyrics/etc.

Charlie Hooks charliehooks2 at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 20 10:31:26 PDT 2005

On Friday, August 19, 2005, at 09:49 PM, Doctorjazz29 at aol.com wrote:

> That is the song I'm looking for...................do you have the
> words? lead sheet?
> Or where I can purchase it?

I've never seen a lead sheet, but this is the version I wrote down
after seeing the Danny Kaye movie, "The Five Pennies."

This little penny is to wish on
And hope all your wishes come true.
This little penny is to dream on
And dream all the things you can do.

This little penny is a dancing penny
See how it glitters and glows--
Bright as a whistle,
Light as a thistle.
Quick, quick as a wink, up on its twink-alin' toes.

This little penny is to lean on
And be there when tears start to fall;
And this little penny is the last little penny--
But it's most important of all...

For this little penny is to love on,
And where love is, heaven is near.
So if you've got five pennies
And they're these five pennies,
You'll be a millionaire!

Now: if you Google "Danny Kaye's Five Pennies," you'll get a slightly
different version.   Frankly, I prefer mine, but you be the judge.
Actually, Danny Kaye's wife, Sylvia Fine, did these words.   They are:

Five Pennies
Red Nichols & His 5 Pennies

This little penny is to wish on
And make your wishes come true
This little penny is to dream on
Dream of all you can do
This little penny is a dancing penny
See how it glitters and it glows
Bright as a whistle
Light as a thistle
Quick, quick as a wink
Up on it's twinkling toes
This little penny is to laugh on
To see that tears never fall
This this little penny
Is the last little penny
Most important of all
For this penny is to love on
And where love is, heaven is there
So with just five pennies, if they're these five pennies
You'll be a millionaire
For this penny is to love on
And where love is, heaven is there
So with just five pennies, if they're these five pennies
You'll be a millionaire

Sorry I don't know where to purchase a lead sheet.  I've never had
one.   We did this tune with The Celebration Road Show after hearing
Danny Kaye sing it in the movie.   I've no way of sending music with
this computer or I'd send you the version I wrote out.  If I can find
it.  It works very well, but I can't guarantee the original chords
any better than the original words.

Hope this helps.
Charlie

P.S.  Here are a few sites that have the lyrics:

http://www.lyricsondemand.com/soundtracks/f/fivepennieslyrics/

http://www.lyricsdownload.com/kaye-danny-five-pennies-lyrics.html

http://www.soundtracklyrics.net/f/five-pennies.htm

http://www.soundtracklyrics.net/song-lyrics/five-pennies/five-