[Dixielandjazz] OKOM Festivals

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 19 06:35:45 PDT 2005

Len Nielsen <lennielsen at telus.net>

> I said:
>

>>> I just want to say, thank goodness for OKOM, thank goodness for OKOM
>>> festivals, thank goodness for OKOM musicians, thank goodness for OKOM
>>> festival fans and patrons, thank goodness for OKOM jazz societies, thank
>>> goodness for all the people who organize OKOM festivals and the
>>> volunteers that make them operate. If there are any others that I have
>>> missed that have anything to do with this type of operation then I wish
>>> them a big "thank goodness" as well. They all deserve our appreciation
>>> for the fantastic efforts they have made over a period of many years.>>
>
> Steve Barbone said:
>
>>> Yes, totally agree>>
>
> Steve
>
> I have to admit that I am surprised to hear your overwhelming
> endorsement of OKOM festivals and all things related.
>
> I am really glad to hear this.

Dear Len:

Why should that surprise you? Perhaps like many others do, you take what I
write out of context which distorts both the message and the answer. I can't
recall ever having espoused a view that Festivals and Societies are "bad".

There was another part to my original post that was far more important than
applauding OKOM festivals and patting the Societies on the back. That of
audience.

And it is audience that drives a kid like Jamie Cullum. In 2004/5 this young
man reached more audience, and did more for jazz, than all of the OKOM
Festivals, Trad Societies and Bands in the USA and Canada (and probably the
world) combined.

Check out his November schedule. Hey, he has more gigs than me. :-) VBG.

Cheers,
Steve