[Dixielandjazz] Quitting

Len Nielsen lennielsen at telus.net
Thu Aug 18 00:54:58 PDT 2005

Hi Tom

I don't know specifically what Kaye had in mind so I am not going to try
to speak for her. In any case, she can do that better than I.

I just want to say, thank goodness for OKOM, thank goodness for OKOM
festivals, thank goodness for OKOM musicians, thank goodness for OKOM
festival fans and patrons, thank goodness for OKOM jazz societies, thank
goodness for all the people who organize OKOM festivals and the
volunteers that make them operate. If there are any others that I have
missed that have anything to do with this type of operation then I wish
them a big "thank goodness" as well. They all deserve our appreciation
for the fantastic efforts they have made over a period of many years.

Without these festivals and societies we would not have half the
Dixieland Jazz that we have now. Maybe that should be one quarter or one
tenth or even less than that. Forget about them preserving the music,
that's just one of the favorite BS lines from the festival knockers.
They are 'providing' the music to thousands of people who love the music
and who travel great distances to hear it and also spend their money to
do so. We don't want to have the music preserved we just want to enjoy
it here and now. We can't do that if it is only played at a monster jazz
festival in New York or Washington or Chicago or Los Angeles or New Orleans.

For the 5 or 6 years I have been on the list OKOM festivals have been
the whipping boys in post after post after post after post after post
after post. Get the idea???? It's time to get the needle of the old
gramophone out of the rut. It's been done!!!

Sincerely

Len Nielsen

PS Tom, this post is not meant to be aimed at you. Your post just
happened to be the last in line. I have no idea if this is part of the
problem as these are my thoughts alone.