[Dixielandjazz] FW: Spud Murphy's Book

Robert Newman bobngaye at surewest.net
Wed Aug 17 12:48:49 PDT 2005

Yo, Dude -- I have his orange and blue arranging book copyrighted 1937 by
Robbins Music and called Spud Murphy's Swing Arranging Method.    It has 47
pages and cost all of one dollar.

On the back cover is a Robbins Music ad for two more arranging methods --
Frank Skinner's New Method for Orchestra Scoring and Arranging for the
Modern Dance Orchestra by Arthur Lange.    The Skinner book was two bucks
and the Lange book five bucks.    Pretty pricey for 1937 considering that
gasoline was 25 cents a gallon and Pepsi Cola was a nickel for twelve full
ounces -- and that's a lot.     And Deccas and BlueBirds were 35 cents and
Victors were 75 cents.   And stock dance band arrangements were 75 cents.

Bob Newman