[Dixielandjazz] Lyrics for "Oh Mo'nah"

dingle at baldwin-net.com dingle at baldwin-net.com
Wed Aug 17 11:36:26 PDT 2005

Bill Gunter wrote:

> Hi Louis and all,
>
> You wrote:
>
>> I am looking for the lyrics of this tune.  I am not sure about the
>> spelling of the title - "Oh Mona", "Oh Monah" or "Oh Mo'nah" - I've seen
>> the 3 of them!  I just have a recording from Nat Gonella and is really a
>> great entertainement tune :) You can put everybody singing!
>

> Just guessing here . . . but are you possibly thinking about the song
> "San?"
>
> The chorus lyrics are:
>
> Oh, sweetheart Lona, My darling Lona,
> Why have you gone away?
> You said you loved me, but if you loved me
> Why did you act this way?
>
> If I had ever been untrue to you
> What you have done would be the thing to do.
> But my heart aches, dear, and it will break, dear
> If you don't come back home again to San.
>
> . . . There's more - the song has a verse and another chorus but this
> is enough to give you the idea.
>
> On the other hand there may be a song about "Oh Mo'nah" -- but I don't
> know what it is.
>
> Respectfully submitted,
>
> Bill "King San of Senagal" Gunter
> jazzboard at hotmail.com

No - Oh Moanh was written by bassist Country Wahsburne and goes
somethinglike this:

Verse:
 Was out behind the Hen House on my knees
When I  thought I heard a chicken sneeze
He sneezed so hard with a whoop and cough
That I thought he'd sneeze his head right off

Chorus:

Oh Monah, you will be free
Oh Monah you will be free
When the Good Lord Set you you Free.

There ar emore verses each followied by the chorus.

It is a take off on old "colored" ( to use an archaic term) religious hymn.
Country was from South Texas, and worked with the elusive Peck Kelly,
later with Ted Weems and then studio work in CA.

Best I can do onshort notice.