[Dixielandjazz] Jonathan Russell

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 16 20:24:10 PDT 2005

Young jazz musician, violinist Jonathan Russell returned from Rocky Mountain
Fiddle Camp last Sunday. Had some great moments there with other string
players and teacher/guru Andy Stein.

Then, last night, still suffering jet lag, he played at Arthur's Tavern with
the Grove Street Stompers. Ed Polcer was among the usual suspects there and
he just raves about "J" along with the rest of us who have either played
with him or heard him. But for comments by Ed, two years ago, I would
neither have met Jonathan, nor asked him to play with us as a paid sideman.
It has been a great thrill for me in 2004 & 5 to gig with him.

Somebody on the DJML previously posted about a female OKOM Bass Player,
Debbie Kennedy. Funny thing is, she was on bass at Arthur's last night so
"J" got to gig with her.

The Russell family is going to Disney World next week. Seems like "J" has a
schedule that won't quit whether performing or studying or vacationing. Then
he returns to play 2 September gigs with us plus a few more during the rest
of the year.

I wish it could be more, but he is fast becoming a busy jazz musician even
at his young age and does live 120 miles away.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone